Drop Bar Menu

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Why am I here in IIUM?

Assalamualaikum.

So I was checking out my old documents back at home and I found something really interesting. It was a reflection made by me 2 years ago. Back when I was a 2nd year student. I thought I'd want to share it. Here goes..

On 17th of September 2013. I went to a program held in Main Hall, CAC, IIUM. It was a dialogue session between IIUM students and our respected deputy PM. The opening and welcoming remarks was given by our beloved rector followed by a speech from IIUM President. Next was the speech from our respected guest and then the dialogue session began.

It was an interesting event having two ways interaction between the students and the deputy prime minister or also the education minister. The problems, suggestions and concerns of the students were addressed directly to him. However, what got my attention was the speech from our beloved rector. After listening to her speech, I couldn't help myself but to rethink and ponder upon the reason why I am here in this university and what is my purpose studying here in IIUM.

When she mentioned about how students who graduated from this university ends up being someone very successful i.e. engineers, architects, economists, diplomats and even ministers in their respective countries. I was astounded to hear and imagine how it's like to be them and to be able to contribute to the people around them and especially to the Muslim Ummah as a whole. In some ways, it made me realize that being here in IIUM is not only to have my degree or the scroll but it is way beyond that. The knowledge that I can have here, that I can learn is so much that to think about it, even spending my whole life here is not enough.

I have spent more than a year here and will spend insyaAllah another three years before I graduate. Besides the curricula taught in class, there are so many things I learn from the people, from observation and even friends from different countries. They taught me about their cultures and customs. It was very different from mine. Way too different. However, to know all those things enable me to understand others better, at international level.

I wonder how, despite to the differences we have, we are still able to be friends with one another. Then I realized, we do share something in common, we are Muslims and this is what makes us one and united. I put myself in a dream where one day, not only I will help and contribute to my nation and my community, but I will help my ummah, the Muslims all over the world. The knowledge that I gain here, I make use of it and one day, me, myself will be the too for Muslim unity and their key to a better life with the  will of Allah. InsyaAllah.

I have a big dream and every journey to success must start with a single step. Being here in IIUM is my key to my dream and I am proud to say I am a student of International Islamic University Malaysia.

Izzat Zaid
18/9/2013

Wowww.. was that me? Yeah. That was written by the 20 years old me. It really gives me the motivation to keep on going now. I am left with 2 more semesters and I really feel that there's a lot more to learn and I've learn a lot these 3 years. My life is really cool here in IIUM. Wanna see some part of them? My friends are from all over the world!



From all over the world.. :)

I love my university,
I love my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Izzat, I came across your blog and I enjoyed reading your amazing stories. Interested to collaborate? Email me at nurul.aini@zalora.com.my. I couldn't find your email so I am leaving a comment to u. Hope to hear soon. Thanks! Ps: this is NOT a spam yah haha :)

    ReplyDelete